Basics of Highlighting and Comprehension for Success in School and College including Homeschoolers and Other Students
- This is not a course about speed reading or ways to forego the work of reading.
- Achievement of at least 3rd grade English proficiency would be helpful for this course.
- Students should have some familiarity with school reading assignments and homework expectations.
This course is all about reading comprehension, an important skill for school success, learning, and testing. Originally for home school students and homeschoolers, the course is expanded for high school and college students. The course presents the concept of “sustainable arrogance” to communicate the need for confidence and questioning when reading. These aid the physical connections in the brain that are the evidence of learning and knowledge retention.
- Read to Organize, Comprehend, and Extend
- Highlight Words as Anchors for Ideas
- Formulate Complete Stories or Constructs
- Determine How You would Organize to Teach
- Teach Someone Else
Reading, note-taking, learning, organizing, and teaching are presented. These represent a proven process for comprehension. Take this course in order to improve elements of the above that may be less well developed.
Five core lessons are included with a review exercise for each. These review exercises challenge the student to apply what they have learned. The course can be completed in one sitting. We suggest that students utilize the review exercises even after completing the course. Apply them to your actual school reading assignments.
The greatest challenge we see in reading comprehension is engagement with the reading. Some students have not learned how to make abstract words tangible. This course offers the techniques and confidence to ask questions and make the words come to life.
- Any student who lacks confidence with reading or school in general.
- College students who feel the need to improve their study habits.
- Junior high and high school students.
- Students who feel that they are slow readers or who complain that they have to read content more than once.
- Homeschool students will find this course particularly helpful.
What you’ll learn
- Read smarter employing confidence while reading.
- Highlight and Record study notes from reading assignments
- Organize study notes for learning the material.
- Organize study notes for sharing or teaching to someone else.
- Present content and test to evaluate learning of self and others.
- Lectures 14
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 60 Minutes
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes
Myths About Reading Comprehension
Reading Smarter with Sustainable Arrogance
Highlight Words as Anchors for Ideas
Formulating Complete Stories or Constructs
Determining How You Would Organize to Teach
Teaching Lesson to Solidify Comprehension